Family Based Foster Care – Emergency, Short Term and Long Term Care
Foster care, also known as Alternative Care, provides children and young people with a safe, nurturing and stable home to live when it is not possible for them to live at home with their parents or family.
Some families experience difficulties that place children at risk of emotional and/or physical harm. While every effort is made to support a family, it is not always possible for the child to remain in the care of their parents or family. It is then that an alternative place to live and a nurturing family is needed.
Children taken into care are supported by a Department for Child Protection caseworker and may remain under the Guardianship of the Minister until they reach 18 years of age or until it is possible for them to safely return to the care of their biological family.
Placing a child with a foster family takes great care and consideration, involving the Department for Child Protection Caseworker, Foster Care Support Worker and whenever possible, the child themselves. All parties work closely together to ensure a positive placement where a child can be supported to reach their full potential.
Foster Care is providing a safe home environment only for children under the Guardianship of the Minister.
For more information Phone: 08 8633 9029
Need more information? Simply fill out the online form. Click here
Manager Alternative Care
08 8633 9025
Foster Care Support
Port Pirie - 08 8633 9024
Port Pirie - 08 8633 9030
Pt Augusta - 08 7628 3113
Kadina - 0438 846 184
Clare - 0439 896 504
Recruitment & Training
08 8633 9029
08 7628 3113
Foster Care Information
1300 761 477
UnitingCare Wesley Country SA (UCWCSA) receives funding from Department of Education and Child Development to provide and support foster carers. UCWCSA has successfully held a license to provide foster carers for the past 15 years.
In line with the regions covered by the Port Augusta and Port Pirie Department for Child Protection district centres, UCWCSA Alternative care team is registered provide general foster carers across a wide area in country South Australia. We have foster carers in the far mid north, throughout the Yorke Peninsula, and the Clare Valley region.
The Alternative Care Team is responsible for:
* Recruiting new foster care families who are willing to provide Respite, Emergency, Short or Long Term Care for children
* Completing thorough assessments of potential foster carers using the latest assessment package endorsed by the Department of Education and child Development
* Providing mandatory and ongoing training for potential and existing foster carers. Within the Alternative Care Team we have qualified trainers able to present workshops on Child Safe Environments, Therapeutic Crisis Intervention, Infant Safety and Shared Stories, Shared Lives-Foster Care Orientation.
* Supporting Registered Foster Carers on an ongoing basis. With our head office situated in Port Pirie we have a team of experienced staff operating throughout the region and situated in Port Augusta, Kadina and Warooka. Registered Foster Carers are allocated a foster care support worker and receive ongoing support to provide the best possible care for children.
* Providing 24 hour, 7 days a week on-call support for Foster Carers and children in care.